Ever since I joined the candy addict club as a very young child, I have been partial to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. In close second is every other version of chocolate and butter and nuts that exists. It’s just simply the best. But since then, I have unfortunately (fortunately?) faced the reality of the many questionable ingredients in my favorite candy, and looked elsewhere for my fix. There are many competitors at Whole Foods, but the high price combined with tiny portions is off-putting. Which leads me to the creation of my own Reese’s-like cup.
Pinterest has provided much inspiration, as always. There are a million versions of chocolate peanut butter cups, and I’ve tried a few with success. But in the past year I’ve realized sunflower butter is my true love when it comes to the butters, and it’s not even a nut. 🙂 My favorite brand is “Once Again Organic” and their sunflower butter is creamy with just a touch of sweetness added. You could also add a little honey or maple syrup to an unsweetened version to make this chocolate cup a little more “candy-y”.
This could be simply delicious with just the chocolate shell and sunflower butter, but banana really seals the deal. It takes me back to banana split days. And when the chocolate, banana, and sunflower butter are frozen together, it is a perfect frozen treat for hot summer day. With only 4 ingredients and no cooking time, it’s a cinch to make. And unlike those store bought ones, you can have more than two! Go ahead and have one mini cup, or all 16. No judgments here. ❤
Ingredients (Makes 16):
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (high quality is best)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower butter
- 1 medium ripe banana, cut into 16 slices
- Fill mini muffin sheet with 16 mini muffin liners.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips with coconut oil and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spoon melted chocolate into muffin tins (about 1 tsp in each).
- Top each chocolate layer with a banana slice.
- Drop a 1/2 tsp or so of sunflower butter over each banana slice.
- Drizzle the rest of the chocolate over the top of each layered muffin tin, covering sunflower butter.
- Put mini muffin sheet into the freezer and let sit for at least an hour before enjoying! Store in freezer.