The celebrity in this post is really the heirloom tomato. I only just recently discovered how much more delicious those giant multi-colored tomatoes you find at the farmers’ market and Whole Foods are than the conventional kind. I also only recently learned that the reason they are called “heirloom” is due to the fact that they are a variety that has been passed down through generations, and are non-hybrid. But it’s not their history that has drawn me in; rather, it’s their incredible sweetness and juiciness, not to mention their beauty! It has been a summer of heirloom addiction for me. Sliced and eaten raw with basil, topped on salads, added to pizzas and frittatas, and here: generously sprinkled on tostadas.
Tostadas are also a new recipe for me. I am a huge fan of tacos – so many fresh ingredients and options for vegans, pescetarians, and meat-eaters alike. Plus gluten-free friendly! Tostadas provide the same base for all those wonderful ingredients, but even more of the filling – and with an added crunch. It seemed like a perfect way to get even more avocado-wonderfulness in each bite. And it is! Be generous with those toppings – they are worth it.
The weather in Seattle just keeps impressing me, and these tostadas taste best enjoyed in the setting sun. Refreshing, wholesome, and with a little zing. The prawns are a lovely and light addition to the veggies, but could easily be substituted with beans or chicken. You could also use regular lettuce instead of cabbage, but I did just learn that 1 cup of cabbage provides 50% of your daily vitamin C! I had no idea. With all these wonderful veggies, including the famous heirloom tomatoes, each serving of these tostadas add up to about 85% of your vit C and 35% of vit A! Not too bad, especially when combined with the balance of protein, fiber, and healthy fats provided (see nutrition chart below for deets). In conclusion, I think this all means…yes- treat yourself to the margarita! 😉
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12-16 cooked prawns or large shrimp
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- optional: garlic and/or onion powder
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- optional: salsa or hot sauce
- Marinate cooked prawns in paprika, salt, pepper, and other seasonings for at least 30 minutes.
- Smash 1 avocado with 1/2 lime’s juice until mostly smooth (could also add cilantro here).
- Reheat prawns in skillet over medium low heat for a few minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tortillas and fry on each side, until crisp. Repeat with next tbsp olive oil and 2 tortillas.
- Spread avocado/lime mixture on tortillas. Top each tortilla with cabbage, tomatoes, prawns, and cilantro.
- Serve each person 2 tostadas and a quarter of the lime to sprinkle on top. Feel free to add your favorite salsa or hot sauce for a little more kick! Salud!