My primary form of exercise for the last year has been Barre- it’s an amazing full body workout and actually makes working out fun. For the first time in my life I have arm muscles and real abs! I am not just saying this to try to force my friends to do Barre with me, this is relevant to my energy bar recipe! Sometimes I need a little pre-Barre fuel, or a well-deserved post-workout treat (or both…) but I have struggled in finding an energy bar that a) tastes good, b) doesn’t cost >$2 a bar, and c) doesn’t have a bunch of crap/unrecognizable ingredients. Although my cookie dough bites sometimes fit the bill, I wanted something higher in protein and a bit less sweet.
For all those who care: these energy bars are raw, vegan, and grain-free. They are packed with healthy omega-3s, protein, fiber, and antioxidants- perfect to get me through a workout or satiate me after until my next meal. These take just 10 minutes to make and consist of only a few ingredients- such a simple little energy-filled snack!
Note: The bars I made are very thin, but if you want a more typical bar shape, just double the recipe but use the same size pan.
Enjoy! Hopefully this recipe not only inspires you to try these super-easy bars but also to get up and move (preferably Barre)! :)
Ingredients (double these for thicker bars):
- 1 cup walnut halves/pieces
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place walnuts in food processor and pulse until ground.
- Add agave and vanilla and pulse until mixed.
- Add the flax seeds, cranberries, and pepitas and pulse until mixed (may want to leave small pieces of cranberries and pepitas for texture).
- *If the mixture is not sticking together well, you may add more agave or pulse in a few dates or dried figs.
- Press the mixture into a 9×9 baking pan, trying to make as even as possible.
- Sprinkle top with sea salt.
- Cover pan and stick in freezer for an hour or so to let firm.
- Cut into squares and enjoy! (Keep bars in freezer or refrigerator until ready to eat.)